I hope you readers have gotten a chuckle out of last week's picture post, as that was one of two amusing moments that I was able to capture before it was too late. The other will show up at the end of the post, but first a little bit of catching up.
Life aboard the ark since the last report has been nothing out of the new ordinary. After gathering the not-so-detailed data on all of the hatchlings for my record I decided to export one gender, import the other, and let them run around the meso and the Children of Capillata metarooms. In the process of importing I had found that a handful of norns triggered a strange warning from the game; a preposterous notion that they came from some part of the internet when I knew for certain that they were hatched in the very ark! At the time it did not click that the cause could have been a few glitches from when the game crashed while I was in the middle of exporting that handful. But now that I had been able to think on it it is the most likely possibility. The game is certainly so much stranger now than it had been about ten or so years ago (the spontaneous grendel parts is enough to convince me of this!).
Besides the death of Beaudry and the discovery of its cause very little has happened save for one very late egg from the remaining first generation female. For a norn that is said to be practically a Chichi with a different fur pattern, Aura the Ancient sure had a few surprises left in store for me. Here she is at the left proudly holding the little treasure soon after laying it. Due to the egg's coloring it is a bit difficult to see, but it is right up there next to her mouth. Which, from the way it is opened, looks as if she was either trying to eat it or stuff it in there to protect it from the imagined threat of an egg-stealing grendel. Silly old girl, there are no grendels on board! Just a very surprised keeper who thought that the first generation was done with eggs.
When she had finally put it down and walked away I moved the egg to the warmth of the incubator pan. There was food there already, waiting to be gobbled up by eager little hatchlings who had worked hard to escape the cramped shell. After a couple minutes of waiting out popped a sweet little black, red and purple boy. Not feeling very creative that night, he was given the name of "Buster" and left to pester the ancients and the small group that missed being imported with the rest. Since none of the other hatchlings at the time had been her's I dare imagine that Aura missed the company of her own offspring and sought out the suspicious Chichi to remedy that problem. For certain Buster was not lacking in company throughout his childhood.
After all the hatchlings had grown and were exported, I suddenly remembered something. I needed to update the world if I was going to allow grendels and ettins in it! Since I had already swapped the cos file for the grendel and ettin egg layers all I really had left to do was a bit of caos. Which resulted in, well, chaos as after it was done I had completely forgotten to make sure turn those egg layers back off with the grettin switch agent that I was using. Though I saw the notifications I had decided against checking them out in favor of watching the elders. Apparently I did not have to wait for very long for the sad moments to arrive.
All three were very healthy and well fed when they finally tucked themselves in for their eternal rest. The males had been the first to go; the Chichi ancient Adraza just six minutes shy of twelve and a half hours, and almost a half hour later Aolus the Bondi followed. Comically enough the pair were inseparable in their old age and always after the one didgeridoo toy despite that there being another one right next to it. It did not matter which one had it first, that seemed to be exactly the one that they wanted! Their passing gave Aura at least a good half hour of not hearing them bicker over a silly hollow length of wood. Or perhaps it was because of that lack of noise that she had decided to repeatedly push the Survivor radio that I dropped into the Meso for her enjoyment. At the ripe old age of thirteen hours and thirty five minutes the last of the first generation had finally passed, to the tune of that awesome-looking radio.
In retrospect of that terribly sad evening I do have the mind to say that it was a terrible decision in letting the ettins and grendels run loose unsupervised, even though a couple of antics did take some of the sting out of it. I never knew either of them to be capable of cluttering up the notifications area, but clutter it up the ettins sure did! As well as other parts of the ark, I was soon to find. Up to the point where I discovered the long line of notifications and found that the little boogers had managed to fill three "pages" of the creature selector panel with their own kind my eyes had been on the Meso. Unsurprisingly, I had also found that those very ettins had divided their "herd" to make their homes in the Norn and Grendel terrariums. And that one of them, somewhere, was a very vend-happy little girl. The massive amount of cheese was not the only thing that I had discovered in my flyby through the terrariums!
I had actually been led to this capture by a notification of death and had to spend a good few minutes trying not to laugh. Until I gave in and put it on pause so that I could not miss a moment of the ettins' silly antic with the lift. Finding that a grendel had died in it with a big grin plastered on her face was funny enough, but to see that she was still in there with the ettins as they kept pushing the buttons to ride it up and down the track was just too much. I had never once seen anything like it with my own eyes. Thankfully after I unpaused the game they gave the lift long enough rest for the body trapped in it to disappear before resuming their activities. Ettins sure are strange little fellows.
With a shake of my head I resumed inspections. As usual with ettins there was many gadgets cluttering up the entryway of the desert terrarium. I had half the mind to return them to their rightful places but, thankfully, the lazier half won; For as soon as I had gotten to the bridge after checking out the Aquatic area the game had crashed splendidly. Had laziness not won I would have spent much longer than necessary cursing those tail-less oddities. As it was, I had decided that it was time to let that ark go and start anew. This time hopefully not messing anything up like I had at the start!


No comments:
Post a Comment