Thursday, April 18, 2013

Surprise!



I just unleashed my first C1 COBs upon the CC! Go check it out here in the downloads section, even give them a try if you're brave enough. As far as I know I've gotten all of the kinks worked out of the both of them but if they somehow blow up your house, leave a note either here or in my e-mail. The next one, and related to the first, is a vendor that I'm still trying to work the bugs out of.



I must say, dear readers, that coding the radishes was quite the learning experience. I have so many COBs for C1 that I had to lean on GirlySatan's COB index to narrow down the ones that I needed to look at as I tried to make sense of the old tutorials and documents that could be found. And to pick the appropriate class, of course. It would be quite silly to pass off a vegetable as a drink or a toy instead of a food. In a way, the C1 life-forms are lucky to not be able to tell the difference between objects of by sight. Imagine the confusion if they could! In speaking of food classified as a drink, I did notice in the index that a long time ago someone else had also made a radish COB. Classification and looks aside, I hope that mine are different enough to stand out on their own. It took a few days to get the animation in the second variant close enough to being satisfactory enough for me to leave it alone. In that part, I feel that I have a good start.
Mea's sprites feel right at home the C1 world; even if I did have to tweak with the leafy greens to get them to show up in the "One Stop Sprite Workshop" as the beautiful things that they are instead of dark, vaguely leaf-shaped, blobs that they kept turning out to be. Unfortunately, I can't remember how I accomplished that. At the time I was working on it I was trying, very unsuccessfully, to fight the drowsiness/dizziness side effects of the medication I had been put on for my sinus issues. But it sure made filling in the gaps in the growth cycle (Something that I did not feel like trying to alter, for the sake of my sanity.) feel like a cakewalk in comparison. If you're a coder who can't draw to save their soul, or can but are in a creative slump, and are looking for sprites to use in their project I definitely recommend taking a look through Mea's site, Caos of the Creatures Realm. And if you find something there to use it doesn't hurt to remember to give proper credit.

All in all, I hope that those who do decide to try out the radishes will find the second variety as amusing as I had found them during the testing process. Since I still have radishes on the brain that won't be the last ones you'll see!

3 comments:

GirlySatan said...

Thanks for the mention! I always wanted the COB index to be very helpful for COBblers =) I'm glad it helped!

Nutter said...

They look fab! Do you mind if I put them on the Cobfinder website, with attribution?

Mioonktoo said...

Always happy to help people help others. ^.^

--

I wouldn't mind if you did that at all, Nutter. In fact, I realize that was exactly what was missing in the readme file. I was both so tired and excited about releasing them that it totally slipped my mind. xD