The stumblings into the realm of digital genetics and world building of a returning long-time Creatures player and community lurker, with an artsy thing or two thrown in on occasion.
Saturday, November 3, 2012
Spooky-ish Carving
Surprise? Okay, not really, but I found it to be far more impressive at night than during the day. In fact I'm still not at all happy with how it turned out. Though it doesn't help at all that the pumpkin that I was carving into was far more difficult to work with than I anticipated and it had been many years since I last cut into one. I more often paint them instead of carve because I like to bake them into goodies once the holiday has passed. For those unfamiliar or can't quite see the resemblance, that carving was my attempt at the Shee Statue from Creatures 2. I had meant to make the exposed body parts of the statue and the simplified lines of the clothing "glow," but I was unable to thin the pumpkin meat enough to accomplish the effect and the skin was very resistent to my attempts at peeling/scraping it off. Perhaps I'll have better luck at it next year, and a much better template to work from than a resized grey-scale sprite image.
Now, unfortunately, these are not only the best pictures out of the batch but the only ones that I was able to take. A combination of it being a busy and very cold Halloween, impatience, and I had just gotten done carving; my hands were not particularly steady. I had planned on taking better pictures later but some hooligans (A kinder name than what I really wish to type but I'm trying to keep this blog friendly to a wide range of readers) had decided, in retaliation for having the daylights frightened out of them by our house display earlier in the night, to take that jack-o'-lantern and one other from our front stoop and smash them to pieces up and down the street. Though we live within sight of a high school I suspect that it may be the same group of little neighborhood scamps that hopped and accidentally broke the faux fence of our little just as fake cemetery. We shall see which it is if that big stinky candle that was in MY lantern turns back up within the week. Even though I have a particular dislike of my work I am just as unhappy that such a misfortune would befall it before I could see if there was any possibility at all of improvement. Hmnph.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Woah, this is really good. I saw the resemblance straight away! It doesn't scare me, but I'm sure any creatures wandering by would be chilled to their bones.
It's a Shee pumpkin! :D It's pretty good.
I'm sorry someone ruined it on you. That's just rude of them.
Maybe you could try making Shee cookies at Christmas time instead. Gingerbread Shee with icing decorations would be fun.
Hehheh... And I see new comments right when I sit down with laptop for awhile. Looks like you're on a roll with them tonight, SpringRain. Funny that you mention gingerbread cookies. I actually planned on doing just that once we're stocked up on baking supplies. However it won't be just the Shee that get the cookie treatment. xD
Post a Comment