Saturday, February 23, 2013

From Fixing Peeves to Creating New Objects

Pretty much what it says up there. After this funk that I've been in for about a month suddenly ended I found myself able to work on things without having to force myself to. As I am sure you may have noticed by my last blog post and my last post in this thread I did fix my little grendel problem. At least until my younger brothers decide to try "pranking" the much bigger me by messing around with the laptop again. Hrmnph.

So what was it that peeved me so much that I got it into my head to go around fixing sprites? Well, believe it or not, it was the honeypots. More specifically that spot of red on the lower right hand side of the jar. To me it stuck out like a very sore thumb and I just had to fix it. To an extent, I had, but I'll be darned if I can find where else the uncustomised Windows 7 GOG.com install put them! Besides the two typical "My Documents" and "Programs(x86)" directories. This lead to going on a hunt for sprite files that used the honeypots and applying the same "Get rid of that farkin' red dot!" fix. In my COB collection that meant two more: Slink's Strained Carrots and Steerpike's One-Shot Honey. The jar on Steerpike's honey vendor didn't irritate me as much as everything else had, but one day out of boredom I just might adjust that one a teeny bit. The vendors with Slink's strained carrots, on the other hand, were a different story. The adjustment isn't too terribly noticeable though. There's now a slight bit of shading on the label and the jar itself doesn't have that accursed red blotch on it.

And before I knew it I had wiped the word "Honey" off of the jars and made myself a jar of mashed parsnips! I would have to say that at a close range this isn't a bad-looking try. In game it seems to blend right in but on the coding end it is far from perfect. Either my test subjects are just too stubborn to try something new or I had muddled a script somewhere. Knowing that I am new at this and following some old resources archived by the Wayback Machine, my luck it is probably both. I'll overcome one of them eventually! At the moment these mashed parsnips are one-shot but I intend to make the jars refillable like the honeypots. I just have to figure out how that was accomplished and for the life of me I am having difficulty finding those honeypots and beehives to take apart for study.

Until I figure it out, does anyone know a few good free file hosts where I can upload my files to once I get them to the point where I feel comfortable with releasing them for public testing? I don't feel like unleashing a thoroughly untested COB upon the downloads section of the Creatures Caves until I know for sure that it isn't going to blow someone's house up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks great! :D The hootch cans, Slink's Wine for Two, and my Purple Mountain Hootch work in a similar way to the hives and honey jars.

http://creatures.treesprite.com/Slink4.html - Wine for Two

http://www.creaturescaves.com/downloads.php?section=COBs&view=2 - Purple Mountain Hootch

Hope this helps!